Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Soundproofing a room

Visiting Guest

04-20-05, 10:05 AM   #1  
Pompeyfan
Soundproofing a room

I want to soundproof a room, where my wife can get some peace and quiet from our son, I was thinking of cork tiles, does anyone know whether these absorb much sound?, any alternative suggestions?, we are on a bit of a limited budget.
Any replies appreciated.

Sponsored Links

04-20-05, 01:31 PM   #2  
Start with a solid core door, they make foam filled solid core doors, but you have to order them at Home Depot.

Then fit the door with small gaps around it, say 1/16". Then use weatherstripping around the door stop and adjust the latch to close tight.

Then install a vinyl threshold under the door. Be sure to leave no gaps. You should not see any light under the door. The smallest gap means alot of sound will pass thru it.

If you want to sound proof the walls more, you might consider putting on another 3/8" layer of sheetrock. However, that would interfere with the existing door and window trim in the room.

Visiting Guest

04-20-05, 03:35 PM   #3  
Pompeyfan
Thanks, that has given me some good ideas for the door, I might use them in conjunction with cork wall tiles.

04-21-05, 03:38 AM   #4  
As I see it you have 2 options.

1] you can look around here'
http://www.google.com/search?q=room+soundproofing

2] you can move to where I live and send them to fulltime daycare errr I mean school from like age 3.

PS-- Iam not trying to tell you or anyone how to raise their kids,or what to do with them. No pm's please

Last edited by joneq; 04-21-05 at 03:57 AM.

CANADA

04-21-05, 07:03 AM   #5  
my 2 cents

hi

if there a door just place some foam bathing on it and cover it with semi leather or vynil and used decorative nail on the door.

Search this Thread