Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problem with putting up drywall

NJ

04-27-05, 06:41 AM   #1  
Problem with putting up drywall

I am in the process of putting up drywall in my basement. I just built the stud frame and am ready to screw in the drywall however I have ran into a problem where the two walls meet. I know that my stud frame is not completely square. It looks as if when I put the drywall up I will have a gap at the corner where the walls meet. Without tearing out the existing studs and trying to build a new frame does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on how I can fix this? I am thinking of filling the gap with wood and then covering with drywall. All thoughts are appreciated.

Rookie at drywall

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-27-05, 07:52 AM   #2  
I don't know how far off your framing is, [I've never been able to make anything perfectly square] but if it is just a little bit [1/2" or less] you can prefill the gap with joint compound before you tape. If it is off more than this you need to cut your drywall at the same angle. Hanging doesn't need to be perfect but the better you hang it the easier it will be to finish. Be sure you hang your rock horizintially, it will look better. If you have to pre fill use scrap drywall not wood.

Search this Thread