Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

butt drywall on inside corners or gap them?

Old 05-02-05, 11:38 AM
johndiy
Visiting Guest

Now that the drywall in my basement is hung I'm wondering if I hung the inside corner sheets correctly.

Right now my inside corner pieces are butt right up against each other very tightly (with no gaps). Now that I think about it, would a slight gap allow the mud to adhere to the tape better?

If having a slight gap is the "better" way of finishing the corners, I was planning on using my drywall saw to hack away a portion of the corner. Let me know if there's a better way.

Thanks,
John

Old 05-02-05, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 773 Votes on 714 Posts
John,

you did good making your corners tight like you did. You definately don't want any gaps anywhere. Actually, if there are any gaps, professional finishers will pre-fill these areas with mud before they begin taping.

So I hope you didn't get out the saw and do any butchering yet!

Old 05-02-05, 03:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
As long as you have a good coat of wet mud on each side the tape will stick well. As xsleeper said if there are any major voids between pieces of rock they are normally prefilled with mud prior to taping.

Old 05-02-05, 05:58 PM
johndiy
Visiting Guest
WoooHooo!

I'll count this one as a little bit of beginners luck!

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I'm gladly putting my saw away.

John

Old 05-03-05, 12:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For those larger gaps, what kind of mud do you use to fill? I was going to ask this very question, but in reverse, as i have a few gaps that are larger than I think would be ideal.

Old 05-03-05, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 773 Votes on 714 Posts
My buddy mixes up some 5 minute Durabond (easy sand) to fill gaps that are less than 1/2". Any bigger than that and it's a good idea to stick a piece of sheetrock in there, provided there's backing. You don't want to end up with any voids behind your tape.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: