Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

repairing a plaster wall

05-06-05, 04:53 PM   #1  
repairing a plaster wall

Hi, all~

Now, this was years ago in a mail-order catalog (can't remember which one), but I saw a nifty way to repair plaster walls: something along the line of drilling a hole through the separated plaster and lathe, inserting these little "thingies", then screwing the wall tight again. I had a kid do a real number in a bedroom by throwing (get this) black walnuts at the wall, which cracked the heck out of it AS WELL as staining it beyond belief. All the walls in my house are lathe and plaster... I don't think there have been any drywall replacements, and I don't want to start. So, is ANYONE familiar with what I'm speaking about? After the lathe and plaster are drawn back together by the screw, then the crack is repaired in a typical way, but with a latex type of plaster that won't re-crack over time.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to just skip the "thingie" part and after drilling a hole, use a thin drywall screw or something, setting the head. Any ideas or experience out there?

Maggie

Sponsored Links

05-06-05, 08:18 PM   #2  
don't know if this is what you are talking about.

http://www.trusite.com/custx1.asp?st..._id=35&seq_n=1

you can't skip this part.

CAL

05-07-05, 09:51 AM   #3  
The thingies are called plaster washers. I think you can screw through them and right through the plaster without drilling the hole first. The reason you need the thingies is because there isn't enough bearing surface with only a screw. The screw would pull on through the plaster and hold nothing.

05-08-05, 09:24 PM   #4  
repairing a plaster wall

YES, YES!!

Thank you both joneq and tightcoat!! Especially for the link to the Truevalue site and also the NAME of the "thingies"... now I know I should be able to just go to the hardware store and get them. We've got a great old store here that's probably a block square and carries everything...

Funny that I looked on the web and DID NOT SEE ANYTHING resembling such a thing, and to the contrary, just a lot of brou-ha-ha about how tricky repairing plaster really is!

Maggie

Search this Thread