Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Dust Question

Visiting Guest

05-10-05, 08:56 PM   #1  
Scottzee
Drywall Dust Question

Thanks in advance for any help offered...
Finishing my basement. No carpet yet, just poured concrete floor. Hung the drywall myself but got a pro to do the taping. He did an unbelievable job - I'd hire him again in an instant. To save me some money I am doing all of the cleanup. He sanded the last time and left. I've got the floors free of dust now.
When I run my hand across the walls, it kicks up drywall dust. I went over the whole basement with my bare hand and freed some of the dust but not all of it (it's a pretty big basement). Do I need to wash them down, or any other type of cleaning, or can I just primer over the dust on the walls? I am going to use new drywall primer (two coats). Top coat will be a satin finish.
Like I said, thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

05-10-05, 09:56 PM   #2  
Take a very soft broom and sweep as much dust off the walls as you can. One of those goofy feather dusters that looks like a rainbow colored raccoon tail might also work if you can borrow it without the wife noticing.

BTW, you'll be better off doing 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of your wall paint.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-11-05, 06:08 AM   #3  
xsleeper gave you a good answer. Priming over dust can lead to adhesion issues. I usually take a push broom [minus the handle] and sweep the walls.

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 07:54 AM   #4  
Scottzee
Posted By: XSleeper Take a very soft broom and sweep as much dust off the walls as you can. One of those goofy feather dusters that looks like a rainbow colored raccoon tail might also work if you can borrow it without the wife noticing.

BTW, you'll be better off doing 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of your wall paint.

Thanks for the advice. I will do two coats of finish paint. Do you think there are any advantages or disadvantages for doing two coats of primer as well?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-11-05, 09:12 AM   #5  
3 coats of paint are almost always sufficent. 1 coat of primer should adequately seal the drywall. 2 coats of finish will wear better than 1.

CANADA

05-11-05, 11:34 AM   #6  
my 2 cents

hi
do a light sanding between coat

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 12:29 PM   #7  
Scottzee
Posted By: pgtek hi
do a light sanding between coat
Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never heard of this. Do you mean in between the two coats of the finish paint (satin)? If so, what kind of sandpaper do use?

05-11-05, 02:16 PM   #8  
I know a lot of professional painter and none of them sand in between finish coats[for every day jobs like yours] Most of them are recoating in a couple of hours. The paint is barely dry to the touch. It cannot withstand sanding. It does not aid in adhesion. If you get any "junk" in the newly painted wall take it out as you are painting. If you want to turn this into a 2 day job then you can sand if you want or need to.

Maybe if you prime the walls and then topcoat with the first coat and then do the second finish coat the next day you could sand with some 320 grit or so but it is overkill imo.

While you are painting pay attention and get some good light on the subject matter[walls]. Watch out for missed spots or the ropes that are left on the wall due to exessive paint buildup at the ends of the rollers. Don't put on too litle ,but don't put on too much either. Finish in 1 day and have a good nights sleep.

CANADA

05-12-05, 06:55 AM   #9  
hi
some roller will leave fuzz on the wall
and once dry they are like little spikes and make the wall feel rough.
a lite sand with a 400 grit will take them off.
dont mean rough sanding just a lite pass over the wall.
"there painters and painters"
I always wash my roller and spin them before painting
and roll top to bottom in one shoot not the w shape stuff
and blend in on the next pass
you will have thicker paint in some places and it will show under the overlap if you go w shape and half wall.

05-20-05, 08:14 PM   #10  
I had the same situation as you did...I hung the rock and had someone come in and finish it off (well worth the money!) I swept the walls as others have suggested. I just primed the walls last week.

But now I am trying to clean the floors of this dust and it is tough. Does anyone have any ideas how to get the fine drywall dust off of a concrete floor? I have vacuumed it but the fine dust remains. Any suggestions on cleaning it up a bit more? Would a wet mop work?

Thanks for any help

Lou

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-21-05, 07:30 AM   #11  
If you have swept up what can be a mop will work well on the rest. It may take several times and a lot of rinsing of the mop.

Search this Thread