Greenboard argument

Old 05-16-05, 11:40 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Greenboard argument

Please help me win a case of beer and settle an arguement with a buddy who is renovating his basement bathroom. He wants to put greenboard on all walls - including the exterior ones which will have a vapor barrier and insulation behind them. I told him that greenboard is not recommended for use with a vapor barrier behind it.

Beyond whether its even necessary to use any greenboard outside of the wet area where he is using cement board, who is right on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 12:26 PM
T
Private message me for my address. You owe me a six pack. There should never be a vapor barrier behind greenboard. Greenboards facing is the vapor barrier in situuations where a vapor barrier would be needed. The back side of the greenboard needs to be allowed to remain vapor emissive. Insulation placed behind greenboard on exterior walls needs to be unfaced insulation. Faced insulation being installed behind greenboard needs to have it's facing slit to eliminate it's effectiveness as a vapor barrier, otherwise, the gypsum will rot between the double vapor barrier. Tell him to use regular sheetrock and keep it up off the slab to prevent wicking moisture. Cost ya a six pack, should have just gone to usg's web site, which is where you will need to go anyway, cause he'll ask what does that guy on the computer know, we don't know who he is, so you tell him--- BUT IT WAS TILEBRI

Old 05-16-05, 04:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
tilebri

didn't know about greenboard and vapor barrier
learn something new most everyday

mark

Old 05-17-05, 07:20 AM
Green board is a huge waste of money anyway. Can't put it in wet areas, durock goes there. Can't put it on the ceiling unless you have 12 " centers. You should have a good enough paint job in a bathroom so no moisture gets to it anyway. And if it really gets wet it reacts the same as the regular rock.

Old 05-18-05, 06:23 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Around here where the inspectors dream up reasons to make you tear apart a job, green board is all but extinct. The past 3 years I have installed nothing but normal gypsum board and pass code with flying colors, I think it's still on the market for uninformed homeowners so gypsum companies can still make some easy money.

Old 05-20-05, 01:06 PM
S
Isn't it also true that greenboard is great at harvestring mold because it's simply pressed recycled paper and mold can grow within the crevasses of the recycled paper?

Isn't it also true that if you do a good job mudding/taping, painting, and caulking (and having proper ventilation) water shouldn't get a chance to ruin even normal gypsum?

Old 05-20-05, 05:17 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sx460
Isn't it also true that if you do a good job mudding/taping, painting, and caulking (and having proper ventilation) water shouldn't get a chance to ruin even normal gypsum?
One of the reasons I no longer use it for anything.