dry wall cracks

Old 05-17-05, 04:31 AM
andre van vuure
Visiting Guest
dry wall cracks

i built a log cabin late last year and now six months later the dry walling is cracking at the vertical joins. i have contacted the contractor and he says its my problem. my painter (myself) was supposed to know how to treat the joins he told me. when they finished the building the only thing he told me was to sand the rhino lite down so that joints would be smooth and then paint the wall with a good sealant first before painting the colour that we were to paint.how do i fix the cracks because it looks terrible?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-05, 06:05 AM
all cracking? some cracking? over windows and doors. How long are the cracks. what was the drywall hung on 2by4 wall?. What kind of tape was used=fiberglass or paper tape? Sheets hung vertical or horizontal and offset. What was the tape set in/ It shouldn't have been in the lite stuff. Define Rhino lite for those of us who don't use it. Thanks.

I know you checked the foundation if there is one.

Last edited by joneq; 05-17-05 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-17-05, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forum

Don't know if it applies to your situation or not but every state I've ever worked in ALL new construction was required by law to have a 1 year warranty. That said cosemitic repairs are the easiest to do. A little more info and I'm sure you can get the advice you need.

Old 05-18-05, 06:32 AM
andre van vuure
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by joneq
all cracking? some cracking? over windows and doors. How long are the cracks. what was the drywall hung on 2by4 wall?. What kind of tape was used=fiberglass or paper tape? Sheets hung vertical or horizontal and offset. What was the tape set in/ It shouldn't have been in the lite stuff. Define Rhino lite for those of us who don't use it. Thanks.

I know you checked the foundation if there is one.
the crack is the full legth of the wall and only on the exterior wall of the house. the joints are vertical and rhino lite looks like plaster and is also used to seal ceilings. when dry its white and very hard. no tape was used just the cement (rhino lite). what tape are you talking about? dry wall is fixed to the wooden bulks by means of dry wall screws and rhino lite at joints.

Old 05-18-05, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar with rhino lite but I would be willing to bet that the joints should have had a fiberglass mesh tape enbedded in the rhino lite. Normal drywall finishing includes using paper tape [sometimes fiberglass mesh] on all joints. The drivet [type of ext stucco] I have seen installed uses a fiberglass mesh on all the joints. You might want research how rhino lite is supposed to be used.