Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

covering over existing sandy wall texture?

05-26-05, 08:22 AM   #1  
covering over existing sandy wall texture?

Hey, guys. The wife and I recently removed some old wood paneling along a 20' span of wall in our house. The wall beneath is actually in much better shape than I expected. The only problem is one patch job that was done before the paneling was put up.

That wall used to have a window looking out into a carport. When they converted the carport into a one-car garage, they sealed up the hole where the window was without bothering to try and match the existing bumpy sand texture on the wall (since the paneling would cover it anyway). The patch job was a little off, so I feathered the edges out about 2' to it wouldn't be as noticable on the wall. Now, though, I have a big rectangular-ish section of smooth wall surrounded by bumpy wall. i'd like to just buy the sandy wall texture stuff sold at H depot for $18/bucket. Is that stuff difficult to use?

The wife, on the other hand, wants to know if there's a relatively simple way to just smooth out the whole wall.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-26-05, 06:46 PM   #2  
Let me try this again. I think my computer ate my post [maybe it was hungry]

I have only used texture paint [I assume thats what you reffered to] a few times,best I remember it works OK. My big concern would be, would it match the existing texture. If you want the wall smooth, you need to scrape what you can and then skim coat it with joint compound.

nothing in life is simple but then nothing is rarely as difficult as it seems beforehand

05-27-05, 05:25 AM   #3  
Thanks. Don't need to worry about smoothing the wall, now. Apparently the wife and I had a breakdown of communication recently. The sand-texture remains.

As for the texture matching, I plan on going over that entire wall, rather than just the spots that I'm patching/fixing. I expect that to make my patch jobs a little less obvious than just texturing the spots I'm fixing.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-27-05, 06:57 AM   #4  
I would texture the patch first and let it dry before coating the whole wall. I believe it will be less noticable that way.

05-27-05, 01:09 PM   #5  
good idea. i'll do that, probably this weekend

Search this Thread