Basement ready for drywall

Old 05-29-05, 07:35 AM
dutchman681
Visiting Guest
Basement ready for drywall

I'm up to the drywall install on my basement project. The walls are 7'6". I'm using 4 X 8 drywall installed verticaly. My question is: Do I cut the sheets to 7'6" so they touch concrete below and joist above? Or should I shorten this another inch or so for a gap at each end?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-05, 08:06 AM
Hold the drywall up off the floor by about half an inch or the drywall will wick up water from the concrete.

Old 05-29-05, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should hang the rock horizontally if at all feasable. That will make finishing easier and the joints will be less noticable. Like bigmtk said keep it of the concrete. A piece of scrap drywall on the floor will help keep the rock up off the floor while nailing .

Old 05-30-05, 04:57 AM
dutchman681
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by marksr
You should hang the rock horizontally if at all feasable. That will make finishing easier and the joints will be less noticable.
I've heard this before, but I don't get it. As I see it, hanging vertically gives me a beveled joint every 4'. Hanging horizontally means I get a non-beveled joint every 8' but another running right in the middle for the whole 130+ feet of wall. Now this is my first time working with drywall, so maybe Iím missing something. It seams to me that horizontally will add more work, which means more opportunity to screw it up.

Old 05-30-05, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When hanging rock horizontaly you stager the vertical joints. When looking at finished drywall from an angle the vertical joints are more noticable than horizontal ones. This way you only have a 4' joint at 8-12' intervals to hide. Also hanging horizontally minimizes the effect of any studs that might be slightly out of line. I doubt it is any harder to hang rock this way, just a matter of getting used to it. IMO finishing is a whole lot easier becuase there is less bending down to the floor [important when you have a bad back like me] Hopefully I have explained this well