water damage to ceiling

Old 05-31-05, 07:46 AM
karenlasley
Visiting Guest
water damage to ceiling

Due to a water leak, the ceilings in our finished lower level have the wall board tape and nailheads showing. How should we repair the taped areas and nail heads showing through?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forum
Make sure the rock is dry and still solid. It may need an extra screw or two. If the tape is loose remove it and retape. Then mud and sand until it looks good.

Old 05-31-05, 10:22 PM
assuming you are going to repaint you'll need to use a stain kill or the water spots will bleed through the new paint. usually this means an oil base, but for lighter stains you can use shellac or premium water-base like Kilz Premium.

Old 06-02-05, 01:38 PM
karenlasley
Visiting Guest
follow up question re water damage to ceiling

The sheet rock is dry and solid. I am going to repaint and I have a stain kill oil base paint to use for the stain. But, should I chip away the sheet rock in the areas where the nail heads are showing through? Also, where the tape shows through, should I scrape away mud to see if the tape is loose?

Old 06-02-05, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to tell if the tape is loose without removing any mud. Can you push the tape up and down? You may need to knock the nails in slightly to better apply the mud. Although sheetrock and mud don't mix with water a isolated incident usually doesn't cause any major damage. Don't try to make any unecessary work for yourself.

Old 06-03-05, 09:45 AM
if the nails seem to be a little loose - especially if they are in the water damage area - they probably won't hold. suggest you drive drywall screws as close as you can to the loose nails (but no closer than 2") in the unstained/undamaged drywall. assuming it's 1/2" drywall, use 1-5/8" screws.

-art-