Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

paper or mesh tape

06-02-05, 09:40 AM   #1  
paper or mesh tape

i have always tapped using the paper tape...i was looking at this mesh self adhesive tape now,and im in the process of redoing sheetrock in my laundry room ..i know i have to use the paper tape on the corner and ceiling joints....does anyone having any good or bad expeiernces using the mesh tape on regular flat seams on the walls and ceiling...thanks for any advice yous can give...

Sponsored Links

KS

06-02-05, 02:24 PM   #2  
The big problem with mesh tape is the adhesive isn't sticky enough to hold over the long run. I use it for patches only and when I do I bed it in quick set. You can also spray glue it on. All purpose mud is a great adhesive for paper tape.

CAL

06-02-05, 04:42 PM   #3  
I have had cracks on butt joints when using mesh tape even with setting jjoint compound. I think it frays when one runs the trowel or knife over it on butts. Also paper tape is much stronger in the bias than mesh. That is it resists racking better.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-02-05, 07:32 PM   #4  
I found out quite by accident using old mesh tape that had lost it's sticky that when used like paper tape [mud,tape,knife] it works well. If you are prone to getting bubbles in the paper it is a sure cure. I do agree with the others that paper tape is better.

Search this Thread