Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vertical or Horizontal application of drywall

06-06-05, 09:20 AM   #1  
Vertical or Horizontal application of drywall

I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and am getting ready to close the walls back up. I was planning to hang the drywall horizontally but then read that in rooms with ceiling heights over 8'2", that vertical application was recommended. My ceiling height is 8'4" from subfloor to joists. I was originally planning to hang the sheets horizontally in a 4' / 1' / 3'4" pattern, where the 1' middle piece would span the receptacles and switches along the countertop. Any validity to this vertical recommendation or should I proceed as planned?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

VA

06-06-05, 11:53 AM   #2  
Posted By: Arch Stanton I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and am getting ready to close the walls back up. I was planning to hang the drywall horizontally but then read that in rooms with ceiling heights over 8'2", that vertical application was recommended. My ceiling height is 8'4" from subfloor to joists. I was originally planning to hang the sheets horizontally in a 4' / 1' / 3'4" pattern, where the 1' middle piece would span the receptacles and switches along the countertop. Any validity to this vertical recommendation or should I proceed as planned?
Thanks.
I would hang it horizontally, I would also purchase 54" drywall for one of the courses.

Your not the first person that said "then read that in rooms with ceiling heights over 8'2", that vertical application was recommended." Where did you get this info?

That being said, I used to hang drywall vertically all the time, of course that was on metal studs doing commercial work. On wood studs I don't recommend it. Wood studs are rarely straight enough or not layed out properly to do this. Horizontally on wood studs is the better way to go IMO.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-06-05, 02:57 PM   #3  
If for some reason you can't get 54" wide rock I would use a 2" ripper either in the middle [wide tape joint] or at the bottom [covered by baseboard]

Last edited by marksr; 06-06-05 at 03:08 PM.

06-06-05, 03:12 PM   #4  
Thanks for the replies. If I can't find 54" wide drywall, I'll use a ripper in the middle wide enough to accomodate the switches and receptacles.

As for where I saw the recommendation about hanging drywall vertically, if you just do a google search (try something like "drywall vertical for ceilings over eight feet") you'll find a few sites that recommend this.

Anyhow, I'm glad to know this is bogus advice.

Thanks again.

CANADA

06-28-05, 02:30 AM   #5  
Here's where some of these people might be getting the idea about verticle vs. horizontal drywall hanging....right here on the diy site!!!

http://www.doityourself.com/wall/h2installdrywall.htm

Go down to Step # 4

Search this Thread