Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How to handle corner between durock and drywall

Old 06-08-05, 07:31 AM

I am finishing a bathroom in my basement. There is a 90 degree corner between the durock in the shower and the sheetrock bathroom wall. I am not sure how to finish this corner. Should I use thinset and put a bullnose tile on the wall outside the shower? Should I use corner bead or tape on the corner?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 02:49 PM
Dear Paulv, I will assume that you are describing an outside corner that is formed between the wallboard and the durarock. Will you be installing shower doors and if so the the tile should extend at least 1/2 tile beyond the exterior side of the shower door frame. you don't desribe how far away from the shower area the corner exists, but if it is within 4"-5" Then, plan on the bullnose tile ending exactly at the corner. You can use a papertape with imbedded metal strips for addition strength on the corner. If the distance is greater and you don't plan on running tile all the way to the corner, then use a regular corner bead.

Have fun, Joe

Old 06-09-05, 05:49 AM
Thanks, Joe. Yes, it is an outside corner which will be about 3" past the shower door. I assume I can use sheetrock mud to tape the corner?

Old 06-09-05, 08:05 AM
Yes you can use sheetrock mud to finish the corner. But don't forget to prime the walls especially the mud before applying the mastic/thinset.
Joe