Replacing wood panelling with drywall

Old 06-14-05, 05:30 PM
Replacing wood panelling with drywall

Family room in my house has 1/4 inch wood panelling on one wall. Other walls (and ceiling) are drywall. I want to get rid of the wood panelling and install drywall on this wall to give a modern, uniform appearance to the room.

I am wondering about the pros and cons (or is there a clear choice) between removing the panelling before installing new drywall versus simply installing drywall over the old panelling? Is the latter an option? Seems like it would be the easiest approach. Any strong reason to not go this route? If I do it this way, should I use 1/2 inch drywall or is there a thinner drywall that I could consider in this situation? One problem I see is that there is a doorway in this wall and installing drywall could result in a new wall that is not flush with the door jam - how should this be handled?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you remove the paneling you have the option of moving/updating any wiring in the wall, inspecting the wall cavity and adding insulation if necessary. No big deal to hang rock over the paneling. Sheetrock comes in 5/8",1/2",3/8" and 1/4". 1/4" usually has to be purchased at a drywall supply store. Extending door or window casings is fairly simple. I usually rip a piece of wood the thickness of the rock and nail it next to the rock under where the casing will go. Once the casing is re applied it usually looks as if it was supposed to be that way.