Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Paint peeling from drywall ceiling (bedroom)

Old 06-19-05, 10:09 PM
bmandyo
Visiting Guest

My husband and I just peeled all the acoustics from the ceiling in our bedroom, we did this because when you paint the ceilings in this house the acoustics would fall off the ceiling in chunks. We cleaned it all up, primed, and started to paint it, it bubbled up, got stuck to the roller, and the paint would just fall from the ceiling. We did notice when removing them, the ceilings hadn't been primed before the acoustics were applied previously. Could someone please help us out, my husband is extremely aggravated, and I think replacing all the drywall is a little extreme. (this seems to be mainly where the seams are) Thanks

Old 06-20-05, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
sound like the drywall is wet or moisture inside.
You must let it dry and then prime it
if no luck might need to replace drywall with some 1/4 inch type

Old 06-22-05, 07:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If your acoustic ceiling tiles were not supported with a grid system but were the glue on type, you have an adhesion problem due to the adhesive. Old adhesive should be removed because compatibility issues with primer/sealer.

The old 12x12" fiber tiles are best painted with oil-based paint because they tend to absorb too much moisture from water-based paints and can deteriorate or bubble due to moisture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: