Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

electrical outlets pulled through sheet rock

Visiting Guest

06-22-05, 07:40 AM   #1  
Canda
electrical outlets pulled through sheet rock

An electrical outlet has pulled through the sheet rock wall. The outlet was not supported, the only support seems to be the toggle screws holding it to the underside of the wall. I need some guidance to repair the wall around the outlet and suggestions to replace the outlet with something more sturdy.

Sponsored Links

06-22-05, 12:11 PM   #2  
The type of box is refered to as a "tiger" box and is commonly used when an additional outlet is needed afetr the wall material is installed.
You can reuse this device in a new location, or locate a stud, cut a larger hole and set a new work box.

Visiting Guest

06-23-05, 12:40 PM   #3  
Canda
progress of sorts

snoonyb,
thanks for your help. I went with a new box with a side flange to attach to the stud. I plan to hat patch the old hole with the cut out from the new one. The new outlet sits about 1/4 inch from the wall. The only thing I can think of is to use quarter-round to frame it (is this finger nails on a chalk board to some?). Would there be a product that has a flange but will set flush against the wall?

06-23-05, 06:14 PM   #4  
The box you selected is also available w/o a reveal. Or you could use a 4s box which has plaster rings that reduce to a single device, from flat to 1 1/4" wall thickness.

Search this Thread