Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Is a glass block wall the right solution?

Old 06-26-05, 03:54 AM
TrioSus
Visiting Guest

I have just laid a solid oak floor in my apartment. I would like to build a single row of glass blocks across the back wall to disguise some exposed pipework (about 3 inches high from the floor) and install some lights to as to give off low level lighting effect. Is it possible to do this on top of the wooden floor? If so do you build a timber frame first?

I have no idea how to start, and I have no budget to employ a builder to help. Is this just a mad idea? Or should I just box it off with plywood? What are the other solutions? Any suggestions would be really welcome, I am ready to tear my hair out from thinking about the right solution to my predicament!

Yours hopefully

Old 06-27-05, 03:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I believe glass blocks would work however they would have to have a base to be laid on. How you would construct a base would be determined by the placement [and direction] of your floor joists. Even the smallest base would probably be an inch or so high and might possibly need to be several inches high. You would also probably want some type of lid to go over the block and the exposed opening in the rear.

Do the pipes run the entire length of the wall? You could also install built-in shelves or cabinets that would hide the pipe. If you box it off with plywood consider applying left over oak flooring on it.

There are many solutions to these types of problems so save your hair [or you'll look like me] and try to find the one that will work best for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: