Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bathroom walls

CAL

06-30-05, 10:11 AM   #1  
bathroom walls

I am redoing my bathroom, replacing a shower base and tile with a new shower base and plastic shower walls. I know itís better to use hardybacker or cement board, if I'd be installing the tile.
But does it matter if I install just a greenboard under my shower walls and on the ceiling?
Also, I forgot from the last time I had to do it, how do you make sure that drywall joints are not visible?
Some places like under the shower base and other places where moisture will be expected I will use the cement board. How do I feather it with the rest of the drywall? i.e. Joint compound? Fixall?

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-30-05, 08:08 PM   #2  
I would use regular drywall and and paint it well with latex enamel. The shower walls should be the only thing that really gets wet. Finishing drywall is a 3-4 step process. First you mud the joint and apply the tape wiping it smooth with a 4-5" knife, after it dries you apply a couple more coats of mud each one a little wider than the last. You shouldn't have any exposed cement board.

CAL

07-01-05, 11:41 AM   #3  
tyhanks

Thanks marksr!
I think I got itÖ.. think itís a code to use the greenboard in the bathroom now, how about the cement board what you mud it with?
Thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-03-05, 12:36 PM   #4  
Thinset is generally used with cement board.

Search this Thread