Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Load Bearing Wall???

Visiting Guest

07-03-05, 06:37 AM   #1  
srepyuk
Load Bearing Wall???

I want to remove a wall between our Family Room and Living Room. The opening would be approximately 10'. I am wondering if it is a load bearing wall? I had a home inspection done before purchasing it and the inspector said that it wasn't a load bearing wall. It has a hip roof. The family room, at the back of the house has a vaulted ceiling that comes down to the wall I want to remove in the center of the house. The Living Room is in the front of the house. The home inspector said the roof is a rafter system. After reviewing some of the other posts, I want to make sure of this. One of the posts from Doug Aleshire explains that usually vertical struts are placed directly over a load bearing wall. I do not see any vertical struts running the entire length of the center of the attic. The only thing on the ceiling joists through the center of the attic is the Air Conditioning ductwork. There are vertical struts, but they are offset, not running down the center.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by srepyuk; 07-03-05 at 07:08 AM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-03-05, 12:40 PM   #2  
Look in the attic and see if the rafters are pre manufactured roof trusses. If they are generally only the exterior walls are load bearing. Roof trusses are supported on the opposing ends of the trusses.

Search this Thread