Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gypsum vs Sheetrock?

Visiting Guest

07-04-05, 07:34 AM   #1  
wenbye
Gypsum, Sheetrock, Plasterboard?

Hi there, We are renovating a house built in 1923. Most of the walls are covered with a 1/2" gypsum board (white chalky center) but, in the living room we found the original 1/2" gypsum covered with another layer of 1/4" cement-like wallboard. The center of the wallboard is gray and looks just like cement. Upon a closer look, the center contains a few thin plastic-looking fibers approx. 3/4" long. My guess is the 2nd layer was added between 1950 and 1970. Can anyone tell me what type of wall board this may be? Is this "cement" looking board common? Should I be concerned with it containing asbestos? Thanks ! :mask: New Entry 7/5 - Ok, I have some new information on the 1/4" cement board. The previous owner said the 1/4" cement board dates back to the original construction (1923). We scraped off the wall paper and the surface is smooth, like plaster. Still searching for an answer on any information on this type of wall board. Thanks

Last edited by wenbye; 07-05-05 at 08:57 AM. Reason: New Information

Sponsored Links

KS

07-05-05, 09:05 AM   #2  
What you have is Plaster over sheetrock lath. The first use for sheetrock was as a backer for plaster. I wouldn't worry about asbestos.

Visiting Guest

07-05-05, 09:10 AM   #3  
wenbye
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

07-21-05, 11:53 AM   #4  
Posted By: coops28 What you have is Plaster over sheetrock lath. The first use for sheetrock was as a backer for plaster. I wouldn't worry about asbestos.

How come? I've heard that asbestos may be a concern in such materials.

Search this Thread