Gypsum vs Sheetrock?

Old 07-04-05, 07:34 AM
wenbye
Visiting Guest
Red face Gypsum, Sheetrock, Plasterboard?

Hi there, We are renovating a house built in 1923. Most of the walls are covered with a 1/2" gypsum board (white chalky center) but, in the living room we found the original 1/2" gypsum covered with another layer of 1/4" cement-like wallboard. The center of the wallboard is gray and looks just like cement. Upon a closer look, the center contains a few thin plastic-looking fibers approx. 3/4" long. My guess is the 2nd layer was added between 1950 and 1970. Can anyone tell me what type of wall board this may be? Is this "cement" looking board common? Should I be concerned with it containing asbestos? Thanks ! :mask: New Entry 7/5 - Ok, I have some new information on the 1/4" cement board. The previous owner said the 1/4" cement board dates back to the original construction (1923). We scraped off the wall paper and the surface is smooth, like plaster. Still searching for an answer on any information on this type of wall board. Thanks

Last edited by wenbye; 07-05-05 at 08:57 AM. Reason: New Information
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 09:05 AM
What you have is Plaster over sheetrock lath. The first use for sheetrock was as a backer for plaster. I wouldn't worry about asbestos.

Old 07-05-05, 09:10 AM
wenbye
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Old 07-21-05, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by coops28
What you have is Plaster over sheetrock lath. The first use for sheetrock was as a backer for plaster. I wouldn't worry about asbestos.

How come? I've heard that asbestos may be a concern in such materials.