Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Totally new to walls, where do I start?

Visiting Guest

07-05-05, 10:05 AM   #1  
imanta
Totally new to walls, where do I start?

So here is my situation. We just bought a late 20s bungalo and in two of the rooms (each 11' x 11') we have wallpaper that has been painted. Under that is 2-3 layers of paint on top of lath and plaster sandblast textured walls. Because of the age, the odds are high the bottom layer(s) are lead paint.

The wallpaper/paint combo looks like crap and what people are telling me is to just re-mud the walls, sand, and then paint (they called is flooding or floating). I am hesitant on doing drywall because it really changes the look of the house when everything else is lath and plaster.

As you can tell I am new to this and trying to leanr as much as I can. So here are some questions for everyone out there.

Can I just mud the walls, sand, and paint and not lay drywall? I know that may sound fundamental but honestly, I have been apartment dweller for most of my life

How do I handle molding? Is it easier to just tear down the current and re-mold the room? This doesn't worry me too much but I am curious.

Is this the right way to do it? Am I in too deep?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-05-05, 08:09 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forum

If the paper is stuck to the walls well and if the addition of water [from joint compound, paint etc] doesn't loosen the bond you can float the walls with mud. You can also apply 1/4" drywall over the existing walls. Drywall can be finished slick or with many different textures. New homes that use plaster are plastered over blue board [a type of drywall] Most homes as old as yours have nicer moulding than you can buy today so if you need to remove it do so very carefully or you will wind up installing new trim that may not be as nice as what you have now or match the rest of the house.

Although DIY is not for everyone, there is a lot of satisfaction from having done it yourself. Everyone had to start somewhere and I'm sure any problems you run into can be answered by someone here.

Search this Thread