Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

EEK - don't know anything about taping corners

Old 07-06-05, 01:14 PM

My husband and I recently purchased our first home and we're new to home improvement... We are currently in the middle of painting all our bedrooms and closets. We have finished priming, and while we were doing that, we realized some of the joints had tape that was coming away so we pulled down what was loose and put joint compound to seal any crack...

Problem: We did NOT know we needed to retape...

So- we've finished painting the master bedroom and closet and are about to move on to the other bedrooms and closets...

We didn't take down a ton of the tape, and now it's kind of hard to tell where we even did...

Question is:
1-where we've finished painting, should we go back and tape and redo the corners?
2-where we've only primed, should we try to figure out where we took the tape out and do it before we proceed?
3-what are the ramifications if we just leave it and proceed like we were going to?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-05, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is always best to have tape where 2 pieces of rock join. Without tape the mud is apt to crack. Where you have already finished I would probably leave it like it is [save some paint for touch up] Since your home is not new, hopefully it won't settle anymore or atleast not enough to hurt. If you can find the spots that only have primer on them by all means fix them. Better safe than sorry.