Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hardibacker/Green Board Seams

Visiting Guest

07-07-05, 07:42 AM   #1  
comack
Hardibacker/Green Board Seams

I am in the process of drywalling a bathroom. What do I do where the drywall and Hardibacker meet? Do I tape and bed the Hardibacker/Green Board seams just like I would a standard drywall seam or do I do something else? Thanks

Sponsored Links

KS

07-07-05, 01:32 PM   #2  
Yes, you do cover it just like any other seam. However you shouldn't have much to cover since tile goes over the hardibacker...right?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-07-05, 07:00 PM   #3  
I would fill the seam with thin set and let the tile overlap onto the drywall. You won't need to tape.

MD

08-14-05, 08:54 AM   #4  
I just did this

I would never again use hardibacker 1/2 inch for the walls behind my shower. Why? Hardibacker 1/2 inch is not 1/2 inch thick, it is less than one half inch thick. So where we abuted the greenboard at the top of the shower and sides, we had to taper the joint using thinset and tape(the mesh type). I would use wonderboard or something which is actually 1/2 inch thick. It is a pain to taper the joint and you shouldn't have to if Hardibacker made their board the correct width.

I can't say hardibacker is a bad product, we haven't even used the shower yet, still waiting to do the grout sealer, but if it says it's a half inch, make it a half inch! You can see my tiling job on the Ceramic Tile forum under 'My Experience with glass and ceramic mosaic tile".

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-14-05, 09:45 AM   #5  
Although I have never paid much attention to the various brand names all the 'wonderboard' that I have used has always been 1/4" or 1/2" and never noticed in major variance.

MD

08-14-05, 11:45 AM   #6  
Brand name

Hardibacker 500 is a brand name of board, which according to the website is: Portland cement, ground sand, cellulose and selective additives. It contains no asbestos, formaldehyde, gypsum or glass fibre.

Wonderboard is a brand name of a cement board.

Search this Thread