Where is the leak from?

Old 07-11-05, 03:59 AM
Lightbulb Where is the leak from?

We have a 2 storey house and the ceiling in the dining area is swollen in areas like a water leak from top. Theres a bathroom on the top. To the bare eyes, there is no leaks anywhere in the bathroom. Also, in that specific area of leak, there is just the ceramic floor in the bathroom, no tubs or sinks or toilets. So, how do I figure out where the leak is from? What is between the floor on the top and the ceiling? Thanks in advance.

Mal

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume you have inspected all the visible plumbing including drains. You may have to open the ceiling to find the source. If the ceiling is bad enough to need a section replaced that is no extra work. Water always looks for the easiest route. It can leak 1 place and travel along framing [or whatever] until it finds a place to exit. You might try using the shut off valves that are usually installed with each fixture to help pin point where the leak is.

Basically ther is floor joists and air space between the floors. In the cavities between the joists there may be wiring, plumbing and heat ducts.

Old 07-11-05, 09:01 AM
follow up question

Thanks so much! I tried to touch this part of the ceiling, that made a tear in the ceiling. Now I can stick my finger in and feel the area. It feels dry. I assume it would be OK to just seal it without checking for leaks ? or, would it still leave the source of the problem unresolved?
How would I seal this hole? ( I better do this before my hubby gets back from his trip!! ) Thanks in advance. Mal

Old 07-11-05, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can stick your finger through the drywall it isn't any good. It needs to be cut back to where it is solid. Then cut a piece of new drywall and fasten to the ceiling. This is easiest accomplished by cutting the old out to the nearest floor joist and scabbing a 2X4 in place to secure the new drywall. But... before you seal up the hole you need to find the source of the leak and fix it or you will be making the repair again. Since the spacing between joists is about 15" you should be able to poke your head in and look around. Even though it is dry now you should be able to see where water has been.