Help! Big Mistake Finishing Drywall

Old 07-14-05, 09:03 AM
Shukru
Visiting Guest
Help! Big Mistake Finishing Drywall

Hello All,
I am new to these boards, and, as I read more, I realize I should have come here about 3 months ago. Anyway, my wife and I have been going through a major renovation of our bathroom and have been fairly successful until now. We removed some non-load bearing walls, removed a toilet, shower, and bathtub, reworked some plumbing, and installed a new bathtub with little problem.

Recently, we have put up drywall and cement board, which is where the problem has come. We taped and used joint compound, as directed, but we stepped ahead of ourselves by priming and painting too soon. Now we have a great color on our new walls, but you can see all the joint compound lines around corners, windows, and spots where the greenboard comes together.

Now we are trying to figure out how to fix this problem. Should we just try to sand and repaint or should we use more joint compound to try to smooth certain areas out?

My wife was in tears yesterday because of this. 4 months worth of work and now we have a shoddy final product. Any thoughts on how to remedy this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-05, 01:36 PM
You will have to go over each joint with more mud. Are the joints humped or dipped.

Old 07-14-05, 01:47 PM
Shukru
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. The joints are humped. Should I sand down the paint before redoing the joint compound?

Old 07-14-05, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The humps need to be sanded down unfortunately with paint on them it may be easier said than done. If you are unable to sand them level you will need to float the mud out farther to lessen the hump. If you are using semi-gloss paint switching to satin will help. The less gloss the harder it is to see defects.

Old 07-15-05, 08:34 AM
Shukru
Visiting Guest
Yeah, I figured that was the way to handle it. What a pain! Oh well, tis one of the strings attached to DIY projects, especially when you're a total rookie like me and my wife.

Old 07-25-05, 05:22 AM
Save yourself some work, don't sand down the joint...especially now that it is painted. Just spread out the joints with more mud. Professionals actually make their joints 2-3 feet wide to avoid "humping" on the joint.

Old 07-25-05, 12:35 PM
IHI
Tell the "boss" not to fret your out nothing more than a little more time and another gallon or two of paint.

Forget about sanding anything, just take and start adding another layer of mud (thin) layer with a 12" knife that starts at maybe the middle of your "hump" and working out from there. Depending on how bad your hump is, you may have to repeat that step again only starting in the middle of the coat you just finished taking the entire thing out 2-3' as noted above.

Once you get good, the only sanding you'll ever have to do is just feathering the egdes of the mud into the sheetrock, but if your good and using texture, no sanding is required. My guys thought I was nuts and cocky until I showed up one day at a remodel and told'em I'd do the entire tape/mud/texture to show them how much time and material they had been wasteing...and once again I was right and they were dumbfounded LOL!!