Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

dry wall over wood paneling

Visiting Guest

07-20-05, 04:57 PM   #1  
toonice
dry wall over wood paneling

my attic is already finished with wood paneling on the walls, but i don't like the look and feel of it. the wood paneling makes the room really dark and uninviting and i want to be able to put drywall in place of it so i could paint it a brighter color. will that decrease the value of the house? how would i start it off? im really new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated. if i sanded the paneling, would i be able to just paint over it? will that also mess up the value of the house? just wondering.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-21-05, 06:45 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forum
As long as you do a good job it shouldn't decrease the value of your home. If the finish product is more inviting it will likely raise the value. You can paint the paneling. It must be sanded and cleaned and then primed with an oil base bonding primer [kilz,zinnser,etc]
Unless you are fixing to sell your home I would worry less about change in value and more about what increases your enjoyment of your home.

Search this Thread