Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

ceiling texture that was sprayed on the walls

Old 07-24-05, 05:02 PM
wrong prioriZ
Visiting Guest

I'm not sure of the correct term for the texture that is generally sprayed on the ceilings (it is the fine speckle), but it is sprayed on every single wall in the house and it looks horrible. i took a scraper and went to work. Doing a small bedroom wall took almost 1 full hour. Is there an easier or faster way to remove this texture? Should I just get a portable sander and go to town? Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
wrong prioriZ,

This was done in the main floor hallway and up the stairway to the second floor in our present house when we bought it.
What we did was wipe it with a wet sponge to slightly flatten the surface.
We got a really nice textured look that we painted with semi-gloss paint to protect.

Old 07-25-05, 06:41 AM
There isn't an easier or faster way to take it off but there is a way to cover it up. You can skim the walls with drywall mud.

Old 07-25-05, 07:34 AM
wrong prioriZ
Visiting Guest
ok, thanks for the tips guys.

i might have to wait to see if i can continue (possible asbestos problem in the floors)... i hate setbacks like this!

Old 07-25-05, 02:48 PM
wrong prioriZ
Visiting Guest
update: i tried the water tip, but what i did was just take a spray bottle and give it a couple of passes with it and it works great. after it soaks for a half minute or so and assuming i get the scraper under it just right it just comes down in sheets. thanks