Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

spraying on spackel

Visiting Guest

07-29-05, 11:25 AM   #1  
chopspop
spraying on spackel

Have to skim coat entire old construction room. In the past I have seen people skim coat/spray spackel onto walls,sand and spray again to get a truly smooth outstanding finish before painting. Never paid much attenion and there for this question. I have airless sprayer but dont know procedure or correct thinning mixture. Please help. Thank you, Bill

Any link to correct site also appreciated.

Last edited by chopspop; 07-29-05 at 11:26 AM. Reason: wanted to add e mail address, changed mind.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-29-05, 12:10 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forum
I have never known of anyone spraying a coat of mud on the wall although I have seen finishers roll a thinned down coat of mud and then smooth it down with a wide knife. I assume what you saw sprayed on the walls was a orange peel texture [other textures are also sprayed] There is also a product by USG called 'first coat' and some 'high build' primers by other paint manufactures. These have to have a pump cabable of spraying at least .75 gpm to apply them. I used to know how big a pump needed to be to spray an orange peel texture but have forgotten long ago - however small airlesses won't do it.

Search this Thread