Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

concrete Ceiling

07-29-05, 07:41 PM   #1  
concrete Ceiling

This may sound like a silly question but is there a risk of drilling ~2" hole into a concrete ceiling of a first floor condo? From the existing light fixtures it appears the concrete atleast my immediate ceiling is about 2 3/4".
I know its not that delicate but I dont want to crack it.
Thank you

Sponsored Links

07-30-05, 04:40 AM   #2  
Why, what are your intensions?

Group Moderator

NE

07-30-05, 06:25 AM   #3  
Risks? Perhaps breaking your contract, ticking off your landlord, and waking up all the neighbors in the unit.

07-30-05, 09:29 AM   #4  
Oh no, I just meant structurally. Its my condo, Im the landlord. Thanks for your help.

MN

07-30-05, 09:32 AM   #5  
concrete Ceiling

If it is a condo with a concrete ceiling it may be post-tensioned concrete to minimize floor thickness and permit longer spans.

If you drill and hit a steel strand you will know it. Depending on the construction method, the mess could be unbeleivable! Drilling is frequently done, but only when the steel location is known. You can't always go by the drawings and should find the steel first.

Find out if you can drill according to the restrictions, then proceed cautiously.

Dick

Search this Thread