hanging drywall vertical

Old 07-29-05, 09:49 PM
wayne1968
Visiting Guest
hanging drywall vertical

I am developing my basement and I have 9' ceilings? I was thinking of hanging the drywall vertical using 4x9 sheets to have less seams and less waste. Is this ok if not why? Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-05, 03:01 PM
I don't hang vertically in a house because you actually have more seams to finish. You can see every seam lined up like railroad tracks. Wood studs arent very straight and can turn what seems to be an easy rolled edge to finish into a huge butt joint. Doughtful that you will hit a stud 4 feet every time.

Old 08-01-05, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Hanging drywall vertically would make more seams, and unless your framing is perfect, it's impossible to break on every stud exactly in the middle. If the tape job isn't perfect, you will also see a vertical joint every time- since light usually radiates sideways across walls the shadow will be cast along the wall, whereas a poorly taped horizontal seam won't show up as bad since it's not at eye level, and only light from directly above the wall shining down on the joint would produce a shadow.

To make taping 9' walls easier, get 54" wide drywall and hang it horizontally. If you purchase the correct lengths, you shouldn't have much waste at all.