Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mobile Home Interior Updating

Visiting Guest

08-07-05, 04:05 PM   #1  
Stephanie40
Mobile Home Interior Updating

Hello all:

Contemplating purchasing a20 year old double wide mobile home on a permanent foundation (1390 sq feet) that has only two problems - interior: ugly plasticio paneling - in very good but ugly condition and hideous carpet:

Walls and ceilings:
Given the material that is used (plastic/vinyl type surface) can we treat it like a plaster or drywall and paint/paper over the offending areas?

Any paints/primers/bases that should be used?
Any paints/primers/bases that should not be used?

Carpet/Flooring:

Carpeting removal....if the carpet is removed, aside from tacks what can I expect underneath? (as this is a mobile home and it's from 1991/1992)

Carpet/flooring re-install: reinstall carpet on 70% of floor and the remaining 30% with wood or vinyl (entry, dining DR and kitchen). LR & DR are in the "same space" one the left 1/2 of "main room" is for the DR the right side 1/2 is for LR/Den.

Am I looking at any special challenges with this type of activity given this is a mobile home?

Thanks a bunch!
Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-07-05, 06:13 PM   #2  
Most MH's have 5/8" particle board floors. They give good service PROVIDING they don't get damaged by water. MH's often skip the underlayment where vinyl goes - it is best to install underlayment for vinyl. As far as painting goes it is best to clean well and apply a coat of a bonding type primer. You can then top coat with any finish of your choosing.

I almost forgot since MHs are factory/production line built you will likely find the floor covering extends under the walls - no biggy, just need to cut floor covering at bottom of wall.

Search this Thread