Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Texture over Texture?

Visiting Guest

08-15-05, 09:16 PM   #1  
ChrisfromCali
Texture over Texture?

I recently purchased a townhouse that was used for a rental property. The unit has a lot of damage to walls that need to be re-textured. I am planning on scraping popcorn ceilings this weekend and renting a texture sprayer to re-texture the ceiling and was thinking I could just retexture teh walls as well.

Question is this. Is it ok to just reapply texture? or do I need to scrape all the texture that is there off? I am pretty much clueless. I could really use some advise. thank you in advance.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-16-05, 06:45 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forum Chris

You can retexture over texture. It is best to do so lightly. A heavy wet coat of texture over existing texture can cause the original texture to turn loose. You don't want to apply popcorn to the walls . If you mean to texture the wallls with orange peel, splatter coat or knock down you can as long as the walls are clean and no shiny paint on them. You can use the same gun for popcorn texture as well as wall texture - just use a different setting.

Visiting Guest

08-16-05, 12:48 PM   #3  
ChrisfromCali
my plan is to remove the popcorn ceiling. then apply an orange peel finish to the ceiling and to do an orange peel finish over the existing orange peel on the walls. So you think that I should just maybe sand the walls and then maybe wash with TSP?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-16-05, 07:41 PM   #4  
Sanding and cleaner/tsp should be good. One of the reasons builders use popcorn is so it is cheaper to finish the ceiling. You can plan on refinishing, likely skim coating the ceiling before it will be presentable for orange peel.

Search this Thread