I guess it's plaster and what a mess

Old 08-17-05, 09:04 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess it's plaster and what a mess

I had what I thought was sheetrock tape hanging down a little in the corner of my fireplace wall. I was going to cut it and retape and mud. I should add that there had been a leak in this area at one time. When I went to tackle this job I discovered that it was not tape but the paint itself sagging. And as I started removing I found that the wall itself was damaged and a piece of it fell out. It's not sheetrock so I assume it's plaster, yet it's not like any plaster I had ever seen before. All the plaster I have seen is white and pretty much well chalky is the best word I can think of and just crumbles. This didn't crumble, but came out in a chunk and is almost a yellowish/tannish color. It breaks apart easily like plaster does though. I know how to repair sheetrock, but I have no clue how to repair this. Can I repair it by putting in a small piece of sheetrock? Or is there a better way to fix it? I sure hope someone out there knows what kind of material I am describing.

Old 08-19-05, 04:13 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
The stuff you took out sounds like Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, a pretty good patching material. Plaster that is chalky and crumbles has been wet. God plaster is hard and while you might be able to crumble it againts something firm and hard you should not be able to crumble it in your hand. I think the best way for you to fix it is with a setting joint compound like DuraBond 90 or EasySand both by USG. The numbers refer to setting time in minutes.A small patch can be done with stuff that sets in as little as 5 minutes. It might take several coats but you can put on a next coat as soon as the previous is hard. When it is flush smooth it out, sand and prime and paint.

Old 08-19-05, 08:45 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much Tightcoat! If it is that Durham's rock hard water putty you refered to, then it sounds like it's been patched at least once before!

As always I am grateful for answers at doityourself.com!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: