mudding inside corners

Old 08-29-05, 04:46 PM
mudding inside corners

I've got my ceiling all taped and its time to apply the first coat to the inside corners where the ceiling meets the wall. I'm trying to find the proper steps for doing this and having some trouble. Anybody want to make some suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 05:00 PM
Same as running tape along your joints - except you fold your tape in half. Apply a coat of mud - put the crease in the joint - and smooth over it with your trowel, squeezing the mud out as you go. Don't work it too much - one clean swipe will suffice. Use care in the corners not to get too much mud splattered around... it ends up really thick and hard to sand down. With proper troweling, you won't have to do any sanding until the final coat (number 3).

Old 08-29-05, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the 2nd & 3rd coats of mud on the angles you may find it easier to do 1 side at a time and mudding the 2nd side after the first has dried. They also make a corner knife that some find useful.

Old 08-30-05, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the repliies. I already have the tape up and am ready for the first coat over the tape. Do I apply the mud with a regular trowel (10"?) and then immediately go over it with a corner trowel? Will this leave a line in the mud where the corner trowel ends? Just trying to visualize this before I do it.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-05, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never used a corner trowel/knife. The way I normally tape and finish is - use a 3" angle knife for taping, 6" for next coat of mud and 10" for the final coat. When each coat is wider than the last it makes for a good feathered edge.
You would need to go over the mud while it is wet [with the corner knife]