Uneven Drywall Thicknesses

Old 08-31-05, 05:41 PM
Uneven Drywall Thicknesses

Hi,

After reading these forums today, I realized I should have come here long before I started my drywall project. Anyways, I'm currently in the process of putting up drywall in my garage to repair walls that were damaged due to mold resulting from a dead water heater.

I assumed (mistake #1) that the original drywall was 1/2" thickness. So, that's what I bought. I also assumed that by purchasing greenboard (apparently mistake #2 based on reading the other posts), I would buy myself more time for corrective action in the event my new water heater blew.

So...after laying the new plywood board for my water heater pedestal (platform, whatever it's called) I cut up greenboard and laid it on top of the plywood. I then cut up greenboard and hung it on wall #1 where a 3'x3' section of the damaged drywall was removed. I then cut up a 3'x7' portion of greenboard and hung it on the back wall. At this point I realized that the drywall I just put up appeared thinner than the existing drywall. Measuring the thickness of the existing drywall revealed 3/4". I didn't realize drywall came in that thickness (and don't remember seeing any at Home Depot).

Can I still tape the joints and apply enough mud to the new drywall to make this discrepency as seamless as possible? Is it even possible to apply mud on these uneven joints? Or would it be easier to just start all over again using 3/4" drywall?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-05, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not aware of any 3/4" drywall. You might have 5/8" although 1/2" is pretty standard for walls. Since it is in the garage and you have already purchased and hung the drywall I would leave it. It shouldn't be too hard to tape. After the tape is dry [and each coat of mud] apply mud in increasingly wider joints and it shouldn't be too bad.

If it really is 3/4" you could hange 1/4" rock over top of the 1/2". Your house doesn't have 1/2" blue board with plaster over it does it?

Old 09-01-05, 10:36 AM
marksr,

Thanks for the reply. I feel a lot better now.

It turns out that the original drywall thickness is really 5/8" overlaid with orange peel texture. I'm not quite sure yet how to replicate the texture or if I'm even going to. But, I was definitely going to prime and paint at the bare minimum.

Thanks again.

Jim

Old 09-01-05, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Although the original orange peel was applied with a gun you may be able to duplicate it with thinned down drywall mud and a sponge. You would probably thin it to the consistency of paint. Thinner will make the texture lighter, thicker = heavier. If you don't like your texture job you can either scrape it off while wet or sand it when dry.

Old 09-02-05, 07:28 AM
In the midst of texturing my new addition...

I've worked the "sponge" route in the past with mixed results. It's pretty hard to duplicate an existing pattern. Finally broke down and bought a texture gun (already own a good compressor) and am thrilled with the east of application and ability to come really close to existing patterns. $69.00 at the big orange box.....

Orange peel is easy to apply now... and knockdown looks a lot better when the material is shot onto the walls.....

Search this Thread