Can I texure over Wallpaper?

Old 09-03-05, 01:56 PM
P.A.M.
Visiting Guest
Can I texure over Wallpaper?

I removed wallpaper from drywall, but only the top layer of vinyl (?) came off. The papery part is still on the wall. I sprayed wall paper remover and started scraping the paper off, but I think the dry wall is absorbing the liquid and I'm not having much luck. We want to texture the wall and paint it. Can I texture over this paper?

Last edited by P.A.M.; 09-03-05 at 01:57 PM. Reason: used wrong word
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-05, 02:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can texture over the wallpaper backing... and it might stick just fine. I've resorted to that in the past with good results - but consider myself lucky in such matters. Always figured that if the wallpaper backing was that stuck to the drywall... it wasn't going to go anywhere in the future... and it hasn't.. However, the proper thing to do is get rid of the backing. Hopefully someone will have a better suggestion than I.

Old 09-04-05, 11:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
It is best to remove the wall paper backing. There is a good chance that the moisture of the texture and paint will soften the paper and make it loose its' bond to the wall. The backing usually comes off fairly easy. Doing one small area at a time, keep the backing as wet as possible and it should come right off with a broad knife.
If it is another layer of vinyl [insteade of backing] You may need to score [lightly cut through] the paper to allow the water to seep behind it. You can either gently use a knife or buy a tool specifically made for scoring paper - sold at most paint & paper stores.

Old 09-04-05, 04:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your wallpaer was not put up right. No sizing on the wall. I would just cut out any bubbles if there are any and prime with a good oil based primer like this. Finish off with the texture.