Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Water damage to wall, do I need to gut entire wall ?

Old 09-05-05, 09:25 PM
firstinlastout
Visiting Guest

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an area in my 2-story home that is open to below...it is a long wall that goes from floor all the way to the cieling...it has two windows in it. The top window leaked considerably during Hurricane Katrina...water was pouring in and waterfalled down to the tile floor. On the other window...located at eye level, I had window blinds inside mounted. According to my wife, water was coming out of these holes where the mounting hardware was for the blinds. In other words...water DID get into my walls...but I am just wondering how much. She told me there was about 1-2 inches of water on the floor and that she was mopping the whole night during the storm. The baseboards have began to warp and the there is mold behind them. WE NEVER LOST POWER..so it has been cool and dry in the home. I have heard that drywall can dry quickly and does not need to be removed if gets wet. I have also heard that it DOES need to be removed and replaced. Not only that, what if the water got behind the drywall and got the insulation wet ? The builder is coming tomorrow to gut the entire wall and replace it. Do you think this is necessary ? Should I take my chances and not worry or have them go ahead and replace the wall. What is your take on water damage and mold issues ? I really dont want to deal with construction peple in my home for God knows how long tearing stuff up and making a complete mess, but then again..I definitely want to avoid any mold issues. Thanks for the help

Norm in Miami, FL

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-05, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums
Sounds like your house is still under warranty. I would let the builder do what he deems best. Sheetrock and insulation will dry and rock can recover from moisture but each time it isn't as good as before. It is always better to do more than needs doing rather than not enough. Having workmen in the house is no picnic [I'd rather work in an unoccupied house] but you will be mad at yourself if you don't let them fix it now and you have to pay later. Just make sure the workers are consiencious about minimizing the mess. The builder should send someone to clean up when they are done.

Old 09-06-05, 07:12 AM
firstinlastout
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. You are right...better to take care of it now, especially since the builder is willing to do so. Yes, house is still under 1 year all inclusive warranty. I wonder how long this is going to take....aargghh. This is gonna suck. Thanks again.

Norm