First step in ceiling repair?

Old 09-07-05, 05:41 AM
Laurie8801
Visiting Guest
First step in ceiling repair?

Hi, I live in a highrise (condo) and the unit above me leaked about 2 gallons of water through my light fixture and fan last night. A repairman fixed the problem but now I have several large bubbles in my ceiling paint. I have two big concerns: drying out the ceiling and fixing it. Should I leave the bathroom fan running for a long time? Get an extra fan to increase air circulation? And in terms of fixing it, do I start by peeling the paint off once it's all dry? Is there potential for a lot of ceiling damage even though there wasn't much water?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm a new, uncertain homeowner.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Old 09-07-05, 05:50 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bad news and good news...

You've quite possibly/probably got drywall damage from the water. It's going to need to be replaced. That involves cutting out the damaged area back to the ceiling joists, replacing it with new, retexturing/repainting.......

It's not out of the realm of a decent DIYer, but your post leads me to think you may need help......

The good news is... your homeowners insurance should cover it - allowing you to get a pro to repair the problem...

Old 09-07-05, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your sheetrock may not need to be replaced. If it is still solid/stiff it is probably ok. Sounds to me like the paint was applied either before the rock was dry or if they used a 'hot' patch it wasn't given time to cure. Inform whoever [for ins purposes], cut out the bubbling area, let dry,patch/sand and it will be ready for paint.

Since the repairman was paid to do the repair, you can probably get him to come back and fix it right.

Old 09-07-05, 07:15 AM
Laurie8801
Visiting Guest
Many, many thanks for your replies. While I'm lucky that my condo bldg has an in-house repair crew for emergencies likes these, they are not reliable for bigger, long-term fixes so I'll call my insurance company and see if I can get a decent contractor.

Thanks again for the advice!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: