Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheetrock on walls - can it be hung vertically?

KS

09-07-05, 02:30 PM   #1  
Sheetrock on walls - can it be hung vertically?

I'm getting ready to finish my garage. I have 10' walls.

Would it be ok to just prop up 10x4 sheets long-side-up? Is there anything wrong with that? The only thing I can think of is that my studs would have to be spaced very evenly or I'd end up cutting the sheets to fit.

Sponsored Links

09-07-05, 02:52 PM   #2  
Drywall can be hung any which way..... The current standard is to hang it "lengthwise" (8ft horizontal X 4ft vertical). This tends to give less joints and taping when finished. It also makes the longest joints horizontal, which typically show up less on a finished surface. As it's a garage.... hang it which ever way is easiest and matches your wall studs the best... Either way... you're gonna end up cutting.........

Group Moderator

NE

09-07-05, 03:51 PM   #3  
All the professional drywall hangers and finishers I know would hang it horizontally, since when you hang it vertically, shadow lines become much more obvious. Since it's in a garage, maybe you don't care about that, and maybe you're not even going to finish it. You are right about the layout needing to be exact... spaced evenly and perfectly plumb and square.

Most tapers would rather tape a horizontal joint at 4ft and 8ft (on stilts) than reach 10ft high, and tape a vertical joint all the way to the floor.

The only thing it saves is a few butt joints. You can search the forums here and find this same question in past threads and read the other opinions.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-07-05, 05:46 PM   #4  
IMO it is easier to both hang and tape/finish when rock is hung horizontally. As mentioned above it is easier to get a good looking job that way too. Although you may not care how it looks, if you ever decide to sell the prospective buyers might. Just something to think about

KS

09-08-05, 08:45 AM   #5  
Thanks guys, I'll just hang it horizontally.

Search this Thread