Ceiling replacement

Old 09-09-05, 08:55 AM
Laurie8801
Visiting Guest
Ceiling replacement

Hi, I posted a couple of days ago about getting my ceiling repaired after water damage. I had Service Master come in and they told me the entire ceiling had to be ripped out (which they did yesterday) but they don't repair the ceiling - I have to get another contractor to do that. When I talked to my insurance company, they said the claim sounded too small and advised me not to go through them because too many small claims will eventually cost me more in insurance. So now that I'm stuck paying for it myself, I'm wondering - how much would it cost on average to replace the ceiling in a 5' x 6' bathroom? I realize that costs vary depending where you live but are we in a ballpark of over $1000? I'm beginning to wonder if I should call my insurance company back.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-05, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It shouldn't be too costly. It will only take 1 sheet of drywall [under $10]. The biggest cost would be in the multiple trips to do the job. It will take 3 trips to hang, tape & finish the rock plus painting. It isn't an overly hard DIY job if you are so inclined. Like I said the biggest expense is the multiple trips and the fact that most charge more for little jobs.

Old 09-09-05, 09:52 AM
Typical insurance B.S.... (Thank Goodness my insurance company doesn't quibble like that)...

Call them back.... with the estimates....... I don't know about your carrier, but I've had, on average, one claim about every 5 years... including one period of 5 years with one claim per year (bad neighborhood kids) - my rates never went up.. That's what insurance is for......

For a decent DIYer, it's not a difficult job - strenuous, but not difficult.. all depends on your skills, tools, and motivation.,