Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vapor barrier behind durock question

Visiting Guest

09-09-05, 05:35 PM   #1  
lkloc
vapor barrier behind durock question

I was planning to use the 4-6 mil plastic behind the durock in my shower/tub alcove since, based on all I've read here, that seems to be the thing to do. But I read a reply to a post that mentioned to be sure to use vapor barrier on the outside walls to protect the insulation. So I'm just checking...do I use the plastic regardless of whether they are outside walls or not or do I only use it if the bathroom has outside walls? My bathroom has only interior walls. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

NJ

09-09-05, 06:34 PM   #2  
Put the plastic up. It is there to protect the studs from future water damage should water find its way behind the tile and get through the cement board. Cement boards are water resistant, not waterproof. The outside wall thing has to do with trapping moisture or condensation in the wall cavity with no breathing option due to it being sealed on the inside as well as the outside of the insulation.

Search this Thread