Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Preparing wall for tile

Visiting Guest

09-10-05, 01:35 PM   #1  
patnjax
Preparing wall for tile

Need to sort out conflicting opinions. I'm planning on tiling a kitchen backsplash (4" tumbled stone tile). The walls are drywall which is smooth and has been primed. My current problem is that I had to cut out a section of drywall behind the stove where I used to have tile. I've patched it with another piece of drywall and screwed it to studs. It isn't a perfect square, however, so I have some varying widths of cracks and gouges to fill. First question . . . I don't have any drywall tape so I was wondering if I can skip that or substitute something else and then use joint compount. After I got everything smoothed out, I planned to prime that section also. If I get it smooth, is my tile going to fall off the wall if I don't use tape? Sure would like to save another trip to Home Depot.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

09-10-05, 04:03 PM   #2  
I would ask someone over here.

It is more a tile question. I doubt the tile will fall off but it may crack. Especially the grout if the joint lands on a untaped seam.

Visiting Guest

09-10-05, 04:34 PM   #3  
patnjax
I thought someone in this forum might know if there was a substitute for drywall tape if you only needed a small amount ????

09-10-05, 06:02 PM   #4  
There is no substitute for tape,only different kinds . Best advice is to post in the other forum.

Search this Thread