Preparing wall for tile

Old 09-10-05, 01:35 PM
patnjax
Visiting Guest
Preparing wall for tile

Need to sort out conflicting opinions. I'm planning on tiling a kitchen backsplash (4" tumbled stone tile). The walls are drywall which is smooth and has been primed. My current problem is that I had to cut out a section of drywall behind the stove where I used to have tile. I've patched it with another piece of drywall and screwed it to studs. It isn't a perfect square, however, so I have some varying widths of cracks and gouges to fill. First question . . . I don't have any drywall tape so I was wondering if I can skip that or substitute something else and then use joint compount. After I got everything smoothed out, I planned to prime that section also. If I get it smooth, is my tile going to fall off the wall if I don't use tape? Sure would like to save another trip to Home Depot.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-05, 04:03 PM
I would ask someone over here.

It is more a tile question. I doubt the tile will fall off but it may crack. Especially the grout if the joint lands on a untaped seam.

Old 09-10-05, 04:34 PM
patnjax
Visiting Guest
I thought someone in this forum might know if there was a substitute for drywall tape if you only needed a small amount ????

Old 09-10-05, 06:02 PM
There is no substitute for tape,only different kinds . Best advice is to post in the other forum.