Drywall and doorframe

Old 09-14-05, 05:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall and doorframe

Hi all. Installing drywall in a garage, and have a question on what to do around the access door. The door frame edges are even with the studs (if you lay a level across the studs, the door frame is right there also on the same plane). I've got a small space (about 1/2") all around the door frame except for the shims, then the wall framing for the door. My question is ... do i cut the drywall so it comes to the edge of the stud, or cover the small space and bring it to the edge of the door frame? First time for doing this.

Kind of hard to explain it! Thanks!

Edit: Just thought of something else ... this is in a attached garage, do I need a vapor barrier underneath the drywall?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean but I'll give it a shot anyhow. Ideally you would remove the door casing, hang the rock and then reinstall the casing. If the door jamb sticks out 1/2" past the stud this will work perfectly [or as close as anything in construction can be]. If the jamb doesn't come out far enough you might add a filler strip to close the gap.
Vapor barriers are usually installed on the heated side of the wall so you shouldn't need one.
If this doesn't answer your question just holler, I'm sure sooner or later one of us can help you with this

Old 09-14-05, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 136 Votes on 128 Posts
Your door needs a 1/2" extension jamb installed on it so that when the drywall is installed, casing can be installed. Ideally, the door should have been installed so that it stuck out 1/2" past the studs, not flush as you described. If it's too late, or not practical to move the door back 1/2" by adding the 1/2" extension jamb to the outside of the jamb, adding it to the inside will work. But you will either need an adjustable strike plate, or else put the strike plate on first, and make the extension jamb run along side it, creating a 3/8" reveal.

Old 09-14-05, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have figured out another route ...

As mentioned, the door jamb is even with the studs, and doesn't have any casing installed around it. I'd really rather not move the jamb out past the door 1/2" (have the same condition on the door going inside the house also). I measured the casing around other doors at 2-1/2" wide. I figure I'll install the drywall to within 1-1/2" of the door jamb, nail a piece of 1/2" thick trim to the door jamb and stud to bridge the gap between them, and this will be flush with the drywall. I can then install the casing and cover the seam between the trim piece and drywall. This way I won't have to mess with moving the strike plate or anything like that. I figure since it's the garage, I'm not going to worry too awful much about it, but it should look ok.

What do you think?

Old 09-14-05, 08:19 PM
Necessity being the mother of invention.............. it works!

Old 09-19-05, 09:10 AM
code

Sounds like this garage wall is contingent to living space, which means it needs to be fire rated, as does the door (if it's going into the living space. Check with your local code, but 1/2 sheetrock may not be enough. As to the extention jam, why make it 2 1/2 inches wide? I would rip it from a piece of 3/4 to and finish nail it right to the jam.