How to fix bumps in drywall

Old 09-15-05, 09:09 PM
How to fix bumps in drywall

I have a few places in my home where there is a very faint vertical or horizontal "bump" in the drywall. I bought some texture and have the paint, but am not real sure how to repair this? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-05, 09:22 PM
If you press on the bump... does it move? Frequently you get "bubbles" in drywall taping if a portion of the tape did not get bedded properly. If this is the case, take a razor blade and cut a square/rectangle around the bubble - at least 1/2 inch around it. Gently pry under the bubble and remove it. If it's small (1 - 4 inches) you can simply apply compound, smooth, sand, and finish it off.

If the bump is solid... you should be able to sand it down smooth - unless, of course, it's a drywall nail head or screw head that's popped or exposed during the taping process. Unscrew a screw, or pull out the nail ... and compound over the repair....

Sounds like bubbles to me......

Old 09-16-05, 06:10 AM
Thanks!!!

They are hard. In all cases they are long and very skinny. Maybe 6-8 inches long and less than 1/4 inch wide. If I sand it down will I go through the drywall? Any tips on what number of sandpaper to use. Thanks again for the tips.

Old 09-16-05, 06:29 AM
200 grit.... preferably on a flat sanding pad... slowly, and carefully... Now it sounds like mud along the joint lines... which is kind of strange to me.... (wonder if tape was applied)

Worst come to worse, you'll have to apply more mud later.... go for it..

Old 09-16-05, 06:50 AM
Thanks again.

I will give it a shot this weekend. I was thinking it was possibly the drywall butting up against each other at the seams? It is a new house so could have some shifting. That is a guy with no drywall experience talking so it probably doesn't make and sense!!!

Old 09-16-05, 07:02 AM
You'll be fine....

If you run into anything "weird" - just repost... someone will be happy to assist...