Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Working with Vinyl Corner Beads (Drywall)

Working with Vinyl Corner Beads (Drywall)

Old 09-16-05, 11:38 AM
NrsKid
Visiting Guest
Question Working with Vinyl Corner Beads (Drywall)

A few quick questions about working with vinyl corner beads.

1. I need to splice together 2 pieces of 3/4" Bullnose corner bead. I have the splicing strip but what do I do about the joint to make it less visible?

2. What is an easy way to cut vinyl corner bead so the end is square?

3. I am also making an in wall cubby hole/shelves and want to trim it out using 3/4" Bullnose beads. I have the two-way 90deg. corner pieces for making the corners. Do I need to cut the bullnose bead exactly to the right length so there is no gap between the 2-way corners and the BN Bead?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-05, 06:07 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NrsKid
A few quick questions about working with vinyl corner beads.

1. I need to splice together 2 pieces of 3/4" Bullnose corner bead. I have the splicing strip but what do I do about the joint to make it less visible?

2. What is an easy way to cut vinyl corner bead so the end is square?

3. I am also making an in wall cubby hole/shelves and want to trim it out using 3/4" Bullnose beads. I have the two-way 90deg. corner pieces for making the corners. Do I need to cut the bullnose bead exactly to the right length so there is no gap between the 2-way corners and the BN Bead?
I'm assuming your talking about rounded corner beads..

1. I don't use splicing joints on straight pieces... simply overlap the beads a few inches. When you mud, the splice will disappear - let the mud feather into the joint.
2. Sharp scissors
3. "Exactly" is impossible....... See number 2 - followed by number 1.

Old 09-20-05, 11:44 AM
NrsKid
Visiting Guest
Rounded corner beads

Yes that is what I am talking about. Thank for the suggestions. I will not be able to overlap the beads on the 2-way corner pieces as they are ony an 1.5 inches long, they do have a small splicing tab though. Any tips on feathering the mud on the rounded joints where I overlap them? If I do use the splice strips would it help if I left a small 1/4 gap to fill and feather out with mud?? could I use the same teqnique on the corners?

Thanx again for your time and attention.

Old 09-20-05, 11:52 AM
T
Originally Posted by NrsKid
Yes that is what I am talking about. Thank for the suggestions. I will not be able to overlap the beads on the 2-way corner pieces as they are ony an 1.5 inches long, they do have a small splicing tab though. Any tips on feathering the mud on the rounded joints where I overlap them? If I do use the splice strips would it help if I left a small 1/4 gap to fill and feather out with mud?? could I use the same teqnique on the corners?

Thanx again for your time and attention.
Run mud over the joint..... when dry - sand lightly.... "Voila" - joint disappears.....

Be sure to secure the strips to the wall securely around the joint area.... don't want it to shift later, showing a crack.....

Old 09-21-05, 12:23 AM
NrsKid
Visiting Guest
corners

Any tips for the 2-way corner pieces as I won't be able overlap the joints and will have to use splices??

Old 09-21-05, 05:34 AM
T
Not sure if I understand the question..

Rounded corner bead requires lots and lots of mud to finish out invisibly (compared to square bead). Feathering the edges will run back 12 or more inches from the edges of the wall. All those joints/splices end up "going away" due to the mud run over them. If it's a totally exposed corner you're worried about, don't... texture/paint will cover it when finished. If I'm missing something in the question... let me know..

Old 09-21-05, 06:53 AM
1. Put mud over the joint in your bead. pull it from the sides. Or you can buy a tool that matches your bull nose shape and pull your mud that way.

2,3. I always use snips. cut one end and put the cut end toward the floor. Or be really carefull to cut as square as possible for your top piece. You will have to do a little fill in where the end meets the corner piece. Get it as close as possible without bending the bead.