Installing drywall over ceramic tile

Old 09-18-05, 04:28 PM
Installing drywall over ceramic tile

Hello!

I would like to install drywall over some ceramic tile. The ceramic is not a color we like, so we want to cover it with drywall.

Any tips on how to do this? Use liquid nails to hold the drywall? Is there any screws that we can use that will go through the tile? Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-05, 02:38 PM
Where is this ceramic tile wall you want to cover with drywall?

Old 09-19-05, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are drill bits designed to drill ceramic tile. But I question covering it up as opposed to tearing it out. Tiles are often used to protect the surface - you'll lose that protection with drywall. Also adding rock on top of the tile brings the wall out - will there be issues with window or door trim?

Old 09-20-05, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jake10
Where is this ceramic tile wall you want to cover with drywall?
It is on a wall where there is no concern for humidity / water. Just a regular room.

Old 09-20-05, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
There are drill bits designed to drill ceramic tile. But I question covering it up as opposed to tearing it out. Tiles are often used to protect the surface - you'll lose that protection with drywall. Also adding rock on top of the tile brings the wall out - will there be issues with window or door trim?
No issues with door or window trim -- thanks for bringing that up. No concerns about protection of the surface either.

I just want to save labor / time by covering it instead of ripping it out.

I'm just wondering if there is any special adhesive that can be used to lay the drywall right over it.

Old 09-20-05, 02:02 PM
Sounds like your pretty determined to go this route.. which is fine... There are numerous construction adhesives that will suit your purposes... check out the selection at any good hardware store....

Apply your adhesive, lay your plasterboard... then brace it so it will stick firmly to the wall....