Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bathroom ceiling peeling

Visiting Guest

09-20-05, 07:30 AM   #1  
charluc
bathroom ceiling peeling

5 years ago I had a skylight installed in by updated bathroom over the tub area. It doesn't leak but the sheetrock is flaking and peeling. I guess it is from moisture within the tub area although we keep the skylight open when we shower. How do I repair this problem ? I'm not sure if they used greenboard or some other waterproof board. I've tried sanding then painting with a mildew resistant paint. no luck. thanks.

Sponsored Links

09-20-05, 08:46 AM   #2  
greenboard is typically not used for a bathroom ceiling. It's usually regular drywall. Is your paint peeling, or is the drywall de-laminating? Makes me wonder if you've got moisture from the skylight accumulating on the ceiling. Does it start at the edges of the skylight? Edges of the ceiling? Everywhere?

Typically a good quality paint over a good quality primer will provide excellent adhesion over a tub/shower enclosure...

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-20-05, 01:30 PM   #3  
Very seldom does interior paint peel. Texture with moisture damage peels quite often. Hopefully if you clean and repair the drywall, use a good primer and finish paint it will solve the problem. As thezster suggested if there is condensation getting under the paint that will have to be addressed first.

Search this Thread