Ceiling Stains

Old 09-20-05, 09:01 AM
Ceiling Stains

My wife and I are thinking about buying a house. We are having it inspected Friday, but there seems to have been a place or two where water has leaked in from the roof. Assuming the roof is fine now what is the best way to make the ceiling look good again? would it be scraping the cottage cheese looking stuff of and prime it and use the aerosol textured stuff to redo the look? What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-05, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume it has what is commonly called a popcorn texture ceiling. If the drywall is in good shape and the texture still adhered to the ceiling you can apply a stain hiding primer and then paint. Sometimes these areas can just be touched up but usually the whole ceiling will need to be painted to make it blend in. I have very little experience with the aresol texture but I've had a lot of success in blending in texture with a hopper gun.

Old 09-20-05, 01:29 PM
Mark is right.. if you really want that look. You can buy "popcorn in a can" at the big box stores if necessary. Problem with "popcorn" is that, when it gets wet,even from paint, it tends to peel/fall off the ceiling.

However, this is your big opportunity...... take a spray mister bottle, soak the whole ceiling in sections... and scrape that stuff off..... refinish with a more modern textured look.... Free advice... and worth every penny.

Old 09-20-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice! I never thought of taking it all off! And I'll take your other advice to...It's Miller Time!

Old 09-23-05, 11:09 AM
Before you scrape anything, make sure the popcorn texture used does not contain asbestos. Many textured ceilings installed before 1980 contained asbestos. If in doubt have it tested.

Test Kit: http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm

Old 09-23-05, 11:17 AM
Rainbird is probably correct...... however - if you moisten the popcorn well, it will come off in "intact sheets"... minimizing, if not eliminating, any dust. Wear a mask when doing it... and don't bother calling the EPA.........