Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fixing 90 degree corners on drywall walls

Visiting Guest

09-22-05, 09:40 AM   #1  
halfceo
Fixing 90 degree corners on drywall walls

I have 12ft ceilings at the house. I put up a diving wall to divide the kitchen and dining room. Put up drywall, everything looks great. However:

The corners on the drywall (I bought plastic drywall guides) dont look so hot. They are un-even. Anyone has any good advice or suggestion on how to create a profesional looking (forget profesional, a good looking will do at this point!) 90 degree corner?

Sponsored Links

09-22-05, 10:07 AM   #2  
You got an indoor pool? If not, why put in a diving wall?

Hard to say without being able to see them.... Are the edges uneven? Do they sway from side to side? Or is the feathering of the mud the issue

Plastic edging requires a delicate touch to install... bending it out of shape trying to get it "tight" against the wall is a common problem. Hence "metal" can be better.

If feathering is the issue.... skim more mud along the corners.. use a long knife (at least 12 inches) to get a smooth finish. Don't overwork the mud... 3 thin coats (or more) are necessary - not one thick one...

If the edge bows/sways/etc., and you're already done with the mud.... I'm afraid you're stuck. Unless you pull it down and start over.... That edge is going to be with you for a long, long time..... this is the time to do it right!

Visiting Guest

09-22-05, 11:00 AM   #3  
halfceo
that is probably my problem then... I kind of suspected it. I actually thought (this is probably anti-common sense) I would get more control with a smaller knife. I went from a 3" knife to like a 6" knife and so on. I get a wave-like effect and also a feather like effect on the corner itself. Then I grab some sand paper, sanded down (I got a sanding block later on), take a couple of steps back and see the waves and imperfections on the corner.

Should sanding down the corner after the mud only be for details and not to form the shape of the corner?

09-22-05, 12:02 PM   #4  
Typically, the tip of the edge will end up being exposed trim (plastic in your case) - Paint will cover it effectively.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-22-05, 12:12 PM   #5  
I always use metal corner bead. Whether it is the first coat or the last I always press the outside edge of the broad knife unto the corner of the corner bead. Leaving a little of the edge exposed helps to make the edge straight. I usually tape with a 3" knife, second coat with 6" and finish with a 10" or 12".

Search this Thread