Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How Do I Fix My Wall?

09-22-05, 07:25 PM   #1  
How Do I Fix My Wall?

I recently had central air installed in my house. My son's room is underneath my TV room. In order to get a vent into his room, they had to break into the sheet rock and go down the wall into the ceiling beneath the floor.

My question is this: How do I repair the spot where the wall and the ceiling meet? I don't know how to post pictures, but if someone could tell me, I could post a picture and show you what I mean.

Sponsored Links

09-22-05, 08:02 PM   #2  
go here ang get a free account take the pics and upload them to photo bucket. then provide a link to them in your post.I think you copy and paste the link. Haven't done it in a while.

09-24-05, 08:00 PM   #3  
Okay..here goes

Here is a link to the picture of my wall

http://images.snapfish.com/344%3A849...%3A69587ot1lsi

09-24-05, 08:35 PM   #4  
First thing I would do is tape off that beam so nothing gets on it. Then all you have to do is either use fiberglass tape or paper tape and finish the joint.Which ever you choose you will need to use the paper tape for the wall ceiling joint. It folds so it fits into the 90 degree angle

If you use fiberglass for the rest it is a little easier for the amature. Just put the tape on ,it is self adhesive, and apply drywall compound[mix it extremely well]. Each coat gets wider till the final coat id maybe 6-8" past the edge of the tape. You can sand a little in between coats.

Paper tape you put the compound on first then the tape then smooth it down and then finish it.

Since you will need to get the paper tape for the ceiling joint you may want to use it for the whole thing. Make sure you leave enough compound under the tape,but not too much so you leave a big bump.

If you think you can do it use the paper tape for the whole thing, but I would recommend using it only for the ceiling joint. Fiberglass tape repairs are much easier to hide since you are not putting compound under the tape,and therefore not creating a hump you have to hide.

Look here for some pics #6 especially.

http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_...ge_id=35693893

Looking at that repair I think it would be easier to put the fiberglass tape on first and add a very light coat of mud let it dry then do the paper tape at the ceiling wall joint and let it dry. Then finish it off.

It is easier to do only 1 side of the ceiling wall joint at a time. That is, do the ceiling half and let it dry then do the wall half. Trust joneq

Tape is cheap. Your sanity is priceless!!

Last edited by joneq; 09-24-05 at 08:58 PM.

Search this Thread